knitnana: Green on Tuesday...er...TEN, Yeah, Ten on Tuesday!
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Green on Tuesday...er...TEN, Yeah, Ten on Tuesday!

This week's Ten on Tuesday was something I groaned about when I saw it. Ten Green Things. Ugh. I'm not a GREEN person (obviously if you've seen photos of me), or rather, I don't WEAR green. With the possible exception of forest green and a shade I rarely find of olive green, you can believe me when I say that it's just not in my wardrobe. So I sat idly at lunch yesterday flipping thru photos of green things on Flickr, looking for inspiration. I'd come up with about 3 things on my own, and that wasn't good enough. So what happened? Guess! Suddenly, I was getting excited about GREEN! Who'd a thunk it?

So here goes, my Ten on Tuesday list of GREEN stuff:

1. grass and green growing stuff - along with the onset of the warmer weekend we had, I've noticed a lot of green growing things: flowers, buds on trees (not so many leaves yet, but they're on their way!)...

2. Greens: when I think of the color, I think of the vegetables - lettuces, spinach, Swiss Chard, kale, turnip greens, mustard greens...It's almost Chard time!

3. Kiwis. I love them in fruit salads, I want to try them in a green smoothie (oh! There's another one!)

4. 4-Leaf Clovers - my mother could walk into the lawn (any lawn), look down, and find 2-3-4 at the very least, in less than a minute. Just look down! I have the ones she found the day my aunt and uncle called to tell her they were taking her to Austria, Hungary, and Bavaria with them. She knew it was truly her lucky day and she pressed those clovers in her dictionary. She had so much fun on that trip!

5. Emeralds - which conjured up thoughts of my mother's "emerald and diamond" earrings and pendant set that my late brother bought her as a child. That must have meant something to him, because his second wife (who'd been married before) was given an identical ring - the real deal not the paste ones from his childhood! - for their engagement!

6. Jadite. That marvelous creamy light green from the 1930-40s that my mother and many others had in their kitchens. I grew up in a church that used jadite mugs for coffee hour. I still love them.

7. Wine bottles. Hmm. Especially for red wine - 'Nuff said.

8. Praying mantises. I remember as a child, my mother letting them crawl up her arms and perch on her head before lifting off to a nearby bush. She adored these odd critters. (My brother got his love of bugs honestly - I.DID.Not.)

9. Limes, which make me think of gin and tonics. I rarely indulge but I love them.

10. Finally, there is green in St Patrick's Day outfits...or rather in what I've managed to put together for MY St. Patrick's Day outfit. In the photo below you will see a bracelet I made last night. It's green, black, white, and silver, and I landed a kelly green and black striped top at the local Discover shop tonight for a song (not really, just a real deal of a price). The yarn behind it? I doubt I'll finish it before the St. Patrick's Day Parade our town always has on Saturday (I've never been, my Sweetheart hasn't ever been, but we are GOING on Saturday and I must NOT be pinched) but I WILL have it ready for next year.

What's it going to be? Gaenor. Hmm...I won't ever be pinched for not wearing green again!!

edited to add: I forgot about this:

One of my all time favorite fabrics for Nana Sadie Rose knitting items: Knit Wits! In the green shade, I even still have a bit of it, and a must smaller amount of the red. They make me smile every time I see that little gray kitty using Knitting Needles as stilts!

6 Comments:

Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Gaenor will be so lovely in that colorway!

I always have loved praying mantises; even now when I see them I feel a certain amount of awe at their complexity and grace. Hugs! :)

7:11 AM  
Blogger Carole said...

See that? You wrote a fantastic and creative list. Thanks for sharing about your mom and the 4 leaf clovers, I think that's awesome.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmm...gin and tonics!

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Leslie said...

Great list from bugs to emeralds!

12:20 PM  
Blogger StephieKnits said...

Wine bottles...I am there with you on that one!

2:52 PM  
Blogger Kym said...

who would ever know you weren't a "greenie?" Perfectly wonderful list!

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!