knitnana: It's Tuesday?
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

It's Tuesday?

I'm sorry I've been gone so long...

We've been stuck in a weather pattern that's been mostly rain showers and storms, and quick bursts of sunshine, then right back to rain...so over the weekend, my sis-in-law agreed to come over on Saturday and help me finally get some art up on my walls (I know...I've lived here over 4 years, and it's taken me a long time to get this done, it's utterly appalling!)

But I decided not to go too far afield in the bedroom - this is over the bed (obviously)
and what you can't see are two original pieces of art I inherited from my aunt in other spots of the room...

But then the stairwell...I've gone back and forth on wanting to do something here for all the time I've lived here. I thought it would be a great spot for the prints and posters I have by one of Roanoke's best known, and most revered artists, Eric Fitzpatrick. I've loved his caricatures of the city for years and have a few pieces that were done as prints. Unfortunately, I've not gotten them framed and right now that's just not an option...
The other idea I had for the stairwell was a gallery of my dad's photos. My sister had three of them reproduced and matted and framed by my cousin and her husband (who do this for a business), and I have several more that are standard sizes, so I should be able to get those done myself fairly inexpensively with big black frames and white mats. So we decided to do the three I had ready up the staircase on one side (which was a challenge, let me tell you). We only did the barest of measuring (I am fairly good at eyeballing, as is my sis-in-law) and I think both rooms turned out well. We also did a grouping of Anne McFarren original oils in the living room, but I'll save that for another time...

Since I was trying very hard not to stress my shoulder after having a second cortisone shot last week, I didn't do much knitting...but I enhanced the stash, and I did finally get to my Sunday knitting group, where this new magazine was shared.

Reader, you know I rushed to Barnes & Noble to buy it, right? (Oh, it's For The Love of Knitting and there are two or three patterns in there that are very interesting...I like the whole magazine, tho' I won't make everything in it.

Still...I don't think I'll subscribe, as I tend to agree with Tere (my friend here in town) that when I do, it seems to be the kiss of death to a magazine...

I picked up a HUGE ball of Sugar and Cream because it has two shades of denim, ivory and two taupes in it - I'm hoping to "adjust" the decor in my kitchen in as inexpensive a means as possible...I love the colors in that, and I have plenty of pottery in those shades. Then I also picked up the Patons Kroy for socks - can you believe this is the first time I've bought this yarn? I love the denim in this colorway, too...and then I picked up two skeins of sock yarn from Simply Sock Yarns one in the Trekking Brach's Candy colorway and another in an Opal jacquard with tans, caramels, navy and ivory in it.

Tonk was terribly interested...but not energetic, as he had his annual shots on Saturday and was feeling a mite under the weather...he's all better now, tho'!

4 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I'm glad to hear that both you and Tonk survived your shots last week :) And your stash enhancements look great!! I love all the pictures you hung up (although the earthquake-aware Californian in me never ceases to be amazed when people in other places put things with glass and hard edges over their beds ;) ) - that's a good job done!

1:11 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

We have had a similar weather pattern here, where's spring? Oh, yeah, that's right, rain is what spring is all about and soon we won't have ANY until about October! I love galleries along stairs and think that is a stunning idea. Why not rotate your gallery every so often so you can enjoy the other framed pieces too?

4:36 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

You put a rainy weekend to good use!
Great stash enhancement. Glad to hear the Tonk is recovering from his shots. I hope your second cortisone shot has done the trick.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Carrie#K said...

If I don't hang something up the day I move in........it might never go up. Your pictures over the bed look nice! I'd love to see your Dad's pictures.

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!