knitnana: Because More IS More! (And BETTER!)
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Because More IS More! (And BETTER!)

When I manage to have even a few minutes of freedom close to the internet I tend to play on Ravelry. As I said the other day, I've been stumbling around to find out more about granny squares and crochet this week (in between all the other things I do) and I've joined all sorts of groups, but there are a few specific artists who have snagged my fancy in exactly the same way that the vintage travel trailers have (tho' perhaps, considering the yarn stash I already have, it won't set my pocketbook back quite as far as the vintage Shasta would do!) - and yes, you're right, I have the attention span of a 10 month-old kitten! *wink*

Somewhere freeform knitting and crocheting caught my fancy, and I surfed around, landing here at this Japanese artist's blog. I saw her name on Ravelry and clicked thru from there but, of course, I can't find that link now and I don't read Japanese.

...then, there are these two Australian women whose work is astonishingly gorgeous and makes me think of the 1970s (here I go back to my hippie days) when vibrant clashing of colors and textures - not to mention the cultures, back then anyway - was what it was ALL about! Both women have a style that makes me think happy thoughts as I look at their freeform artistry: Prudence Mapstone (you'll see several books on her site), and Jenny Dowde, the author of Freeform Knitting and Crochet, which I've just requested from my library. I've joined both women's groups on Ravelry...

I've never knit anything like this, but there was a day when I was totally enamoured of embellishment in other fiber media, too:

Crazy quilting, silk ribbon and embellishment embroidery excited me no end, and I filled my library with Judith Baker Montano's work, as well as a fabulous book by Thomasina Beck The Embroiderer's Flowers, which is now, sadly, out of print, even in paperback form. I have lots of other books on embroidery and antique lace and linens, too, as well as Quilting Arts and Pieceworks magazines, but you get the point...

I've mentioned before how much I adore Jude's small cloth art quilting?

And also that I tend to save everything? Yes. Like my Depression Era Mom and aunts before me, I have a treasure trove of stuff just in case I might need it someday...floss and lace trims, books, patterns, and on and on and on...well,

Earlier in the summer I started an organization project, to put all of my craft/sewing/art supplies in one spot, the studio:

(my landlord refers to the small room as "the dining room" but I've never eaten in here!)

It is Nana Sadie Rose's domain, of course, so I'm piling in every rose-strewn item in my possession (hmmm...layering and embellishing, even here!):
(the yarn however is Knitnana's, so will stay in the office/knitting room upstairs, because there's not enough space otherwise! Geesh, one would think I've a split personality or some such...)

Where will all this take me? Who knows? But on days when I can't run from the responsibilities of my work-a-day world to play with fiber in its many forms? At least I can be transported to a color-drenched world...Thanks, Ravelry!

btw...the kitten and I have made peace for now...he's too adorable and loving to stay mad at. But I have to tell you that this a.m. I asked The Meezer if she ever wished that I'd left him behind at the rescue center and her quick and impertinent reply was

Me-YUP!
(I swear! She did!)

5 Comments:

Anonymous twinsetellen said...

Perhaps you've never eaten food in that room, but you've certainly dined on beauty and ideas. I love looking at that wall! Perhaps this will motivate me to get my act together and organize my stash today. (perhaps not!)

8:51 AM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

I have that Crazy Quilt Stitches book plus a couple others. I started a CQ vest many years ago - both fronts are embroidered but I still haven't decided what will go in the center square of the back. Maybe one of these days?? {{{HUGS}}}

1:21 PM  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Oh, I believe Meezer actually said that.

Thing is, just when you're at the end of your portion of patience with the wee beastie and you want to return to sender, you realize that two hearts would break if you went through with it.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Geraldine said...

Now that's my kind of work space! Oh sooooo neat, love it. It's funny how a lot of people assume that creativity equates with chaos...it aint so!

Hugs to you and the kids, G

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Carrie #K said...

Who can blame her? Even if she is cute.

Oh, I LOVE your dining room! Want!

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!