knitnana: TGIF! And What Do You Know?
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Friday, March 20, 2009

TGIF! And What Do You Know?

Yes, it's Friday...whee!

And unbelievably, my Knitpicks order arrived. I do believe that is the fastest I've EVER gotten the free shipping: I ordered this on Saturday (March 14!) and the box come today? Speed demons! (It usually takes two weeks.)
This was, I believe, the very best part of it: Cheryl Oberle's Knitted Jackets! There is simply no question, just like Folk Shawls, this book will become a staple of my knitting bookshelf. The patterns are classic, there are only a couple of the twenty that I probably would not knit as they just aren't me, but the rest? I'll be knitting a long time from this book - they're gorgeous...I think Three Sisters (Ravelry link) will be my first choice. Just perfect, and simple enough that I can handle it.

I have to toss in this shot of CC:
Last night, she was pestering me for treats (it's either that or food) and she fell asleep in the midst of it. Just like a little old lady! She woke up after the flash went off and decided the bit of catnip I'd left on the chair was just the ticket. Poor dear, it's rotten to get old (she's 18 next month), but at least with me, she's still a sweetie - but not with The Meezer...with her? It's all World War III, all the time.

Ok...Wanna see more of the Knitpicks order? I bought one skein of their new organic cotton worsted weight yarn, Simply Cotton in the colorway Marshmallow. I was thinking it would make a nice substitute for the yarn in Imagine from Knitty Spring 2009:
Those are my Susan Bates pink aluminum size 7s which are the correct size for the pattern, which gives gauge as 19 stitches over 4 inches in stockinette AFTER blocking (I just read the "after" part). I'm getting 18. Hmm....

I know, I know. I need to block it.

So what do I think of the yarn?
I absolutely LOVE it. I had wondered if I'd think it felt like Sugar 'n Cream - that's what I was afraid of, a dishcloth sweater - and I knew I'd HATE that.

But it's nothing like SnC. Nothing - IT's just wonderful! Soft, drapey, scrunchy - just right for a cotton sweater. I've got like three different patterns I'm thinking I could use this yarn for...and there are several "natural shades" available. While it's not my best color, I'm thinking they need to add a "green" green shade, sort of sage-y, you know?

Dear heaven, I think I might be hooked. (And Knitpicks? You've redeemed yourselves for the Options Metal needles fiasco...YAY! I truly am delighted, in just so many ways.)

9 Comments:

Blogger Plain Jane said...

Happy Birthday to CC! The 17th was the 11th anniversary of adopting Callie - if MARL's estimate of her being 2½ when we got her, then she'll be 14 this fall, but she looks older.

Good luck with your swatch - I never knew that you were supposed to block cotton.. The yarn is beautiful.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

That's a great shot of CC -- definitely an old lady thing to do :) And now I've got another book to add to my "must-have" list! That one looks really good (and you know I feel the same way you do about Folk Shawls). The yarn looks gorgeous, too, and I'm so happy to get a recommendation like that, as Rick and girls always want their sweaters in cotton :)

11:15 AM  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

So much going on Chez Knitnana! I'm sure you'll keep us apprised of your knitted jacket selections and progress. Just the perfect complement to your shawls and wraps.

It is nice to see CC. And yes, getting older is a challenge but she's still up for a treat and a bit of nip :o)

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for soft drapey scrunchy yarn and KnitPicks redemption. :)

Aww. CC is darling.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Sheila said...

Yeah, you better block it. Like I've ever blocked a swatch!

9:49 PM  
Blogger Pat K said...

Hmmm. Must check out book.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Aww, cute photo of CC. I am intrigued by the new organic cotton; some of the offerings from other places that preceded it the past few years have felt like rope! You have inpsired me to at least look through Jackets... not that I really need any further inspiration. I already better live past 90!

11:55 AM  
Blogger Opal said...

now i'm very intrigued by that cotton yarn and the last thing i need is more yarn!

big hugs to CC!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Sweet CC! Happy Birthday! :)

That new KP yarn is yummy looking and it is wonderful to find a good cotton that you really like. :)

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!