knitnana: Brrr.....!
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Brrr.....!

Tonight it's blustery, the winds are up, the temps down. It's REALLY cold and there were snowflakes in the air on the way home (tho' my car thermometer only read 48 degrees!). I gathered the trash and rolled the can to the curb wearing my heavy winter jacket and Habitat (Ravelry link). The stew from the weekend was welcomed, in a steaming bowl, and with grilled garlic olive bread, made a nice dinner...

Our local electric utility, thinking, I presume, that we're not already hurting enough these days of economic strife, has petitioned the State Corporation Commission for a 21% rate hike. It goes into effect on Nov 1. This on top of the 12% hike that went into effect on Sept 1. Of course, the SCC could make them refund it, if they find it unnecessary. A bit over a year ago, they hiked everything 25% and the SCC denied it...the refunds took a bit to come through and you can never understand the bills to see if the refunds are correct or not.

(I know...I'm ranting. Sorry. This second hike took me by surprise. I'm already doing a lot to keep the bills down on this total electric townhouse. It's been something of a personal challenge to use less electricity! But I think I might have to turn up the thermostat a bit tonight with the wind and all...)

So tonight, I finished up this lovely set, ordered for delivery at the shows next weekend:
This is for a crocheter who uses the wonderful Brittany turned wooden hooks. I resized the pockets on the Oressa case to all the same size for her collection. (Oh, sorry...it's another cat bag, right? lolol! That's what the order was for...)
When I heard about the electricity rate increase? I did exactly what folks aren't supposed to do. I headed to Barnes & Noble. And found these two magazines. I looked at all the Holiday knitting magazines, but was only tempted to get Vogue Knitting's Holiday issue. But behind it? That's Artful Blogging. I hadn't seen it before and frankly, as expensive as it was, I'm not sure I'll get it again. But the photography is stunning. I know a few of the blogs mentioned in this issue, and intend to become more familiar with the rest of them. Perhaps it's just eye candy. Or maybe you'll see something change around here.

After all, with everything going up and up? I'm probably going to be spending a lot more time at home on the computer!
*wink*

Stay warm....

6 Comments:

Blogger Opal said...

"The Art Of Blogging"? Who knew?!

10:35 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Oy. Rate hikes. That's just not fair at all! As if the folks doing the hiking are suffering... The magazines look lovely though (I'm dying to get to my B&N for Vogue and IK holiday issues -- maybe tomorrow), and I think I'm going to have to head over there for some of that yummy stew :)

11:34 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

It is good weather for stew! I made fish chowder last night and I'm thinking about beef stew for tonight.

6:54 AM  
Blogger Pam! said...

fabulous! freakin' electric company. We use natural gas for heating, cooking & hot water but any increase in gas OR electric is going to hit us hard.
Way to help the people you money-grubbing idiots.

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To enjoy your townhouse, you clearly need to purchase more yarn. It will help you insulate the walls while it waits to be knit, and keep you warm when it is a FO!

I love the bag. It reminds me of a stylized Siamese cat salt and pepper set my grandmother gave me for my 13th birthday .

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quilts! Perfect for those days when you have to choose between heat and eating. Enron apparently showed them the way.

That set is so cute! (The red gingham checked cats.)

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!