knitnana: Commitments, Startitis, Sock Mojo...
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Monday, July 28, 2008

Commitments, Startitis, Sock Mojo...

I've got a few things OTN right now! My second block for the blanket we're making our Knit group member who's husband was injured in the grilling accident is below - it's another "scrap" block that resembles a quilt block.
and then there are the two socks.

Two? I know. I normally do not put two pair of socks OTN at the same time. And it's not even because it's Summer of Socks '08. But I've had such a time with Wendy's Seaweed Sock pattern, and last night, in frustration, I cast on another plain vanilla sock...this one in Knitpicks Blue Ox Tweed.

I have ripped the Seaweed Sock twice - the first time when the gauge was off and I had to order size 0 Harmonys. The second time when I realized that the heel was too short. This is the second time I've gotten to where I am now...I've added another repeat of the lace pattern this second time around and before I started the heel...
and I'm still not sure I like this.

The heel is gorgeous! I'm delighted with the way it LOOKS! But...It's a tad snug. And because it's STR, and so tightly spun, I'm concerned that it's going to end up being too tight overall and won't ever loosen up. The heel flap begins a fraction of an inch before I think it should. Now it's not that I'll wear these inside shoes with closed heels, because I don't - I wear my socks in Birks/clogs.

Please tell me what you think? I'd made myself and several other people a promise that for once, I'd knit a sock to the pattern (except for adding in that extra repeat of lace which didn't affect the looks of the finished sock one bit, you know?). I do like the lace pattern. And I've gotten several compliments on it, too - so WENDY - this is a cool pattern...I'm just not too sure about that heel on my foot!

Maybe it's just that my sock mojo is failing?

Mom...do you know how incredibly BOR-ing this post is?

Boring...boring....boring...snoring....zzzzzzz

I just love The Meezer's vote of confidence on this issue...
Help? I can't trust HER judgement on this one...

9 Comments:

Blogger Plain Jane said...

The heel looks great, but if it doesn't feel great that's pretty important. It might be worth while to frog back and add a partial lace pattern before starting the heel so they'll be comfortable to wear.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I've not knit with STR yet. But just about every other yarn I've knit with does loosen up with wearing. I am trying to correct a problem I have where I make socks a little too loose in the heel and foot, and they always end up sliding down my foot part way through the day. It looks like it fits fine. I hope someone with more STR experience comes to your aid. Let us all know, as I have a skein of STR in my stash.

These fur covered cats just don't get the whole sock thing.

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Disclosure: I'm a top-down sock knitter, only. So I hope I'm making sense for toe-up.

But, if it doesn't fit in the heel, if you have the slightest doubt, you have to put in more heel gusset.

You have two options: more heel flap length, and/or a bigger needle for the sole stitches.

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would knit the sock heel that works best for your foot, not necessarily what the pattern says. We had classes on this on the Sea Socks cruise and I think sticking with a heel that is comfortable is soooooo important!! They are your socks and everyone's feet are different.

12:01 AM  
Blogger elaines630 said...

Do what makes you happy and what will make the sock fit. It really doesnt matter if you stray from the pattern. It doesnt have to be perfect - just perfect for you!

8:41 AM  
Blogger teabird said...

Ditto. What they said.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Well, the socks *look* good, but if they don't feel good... Maybe work on those lovely plain vanilla ones for a while to get your mojo back, and then see how the Wendy socks feel?

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They certainly look beautiful, but you have to feel comfortable in them too. Trust your instincts!

12:24 PM  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Yep. What's the good of sticking to the pattern when the socks aren't comfy? All that effort for naught. And the color is so *you*!

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!