Experiments in Lace, Part 1
And here's what I found...I was remiss in measuring the swatch pre-pinning to block. :(
So...Pinned the width of the swatch is 14.25 inches and the height to the point is 7 inches. This is through the first repeat of 24 rows of the body chart. I had 14 stitches over 4 inches (knit on size 3 Addi Lace needles).
Now. When I unpinned, here is what I had: 13.75 inches wide and 6.5 inches high. Hmm...Unpinned there was a "bounce-back factor" that was 1/2 an inch in each direction. I've seen that happen with natural merino, tho' I have to admit I didn't measure the difference. But 1/2 an inch doesn't seem unusual in my mind...what do you think?
I'm really pleased with the results of this little test. I adore the pattern - isn't Anne's pattern just gorgeous? (ok...nothing she does is anything less than gorgeous, I know!).
And I love The Meezer colorway. I think I'm going to continue on with this as is.
And, last night and today, I knit a second swatch of lace done in Socks That Rock. I used the Traveling Vines pattern from Dogs Steal Yarn. She's moved her blog and the pattern isn't there any longer...but I did find the lace pattern in the first Barbara Walker Treasury - just add 3 garter stitches on each side to keep the scarf from curling, and edge top and bottom with 5 garter rows. I hope she puts her pattern back up soon! It's a lovely one...
I did two repeats of the pattern (and shortened the garter border top and bottom to 3 rows. It's blocking now. I've measured it, too - 22 stitches over 4 inches on size 5 Knitpicks Harmony needles...
I'll show that to you later in the week and see what I think of the "bounce-back" on that one!
This is interesting...I can't wait to see what Judy finds in her results!