knitnana: Experiments in Lace, Part 1
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Experiments in Lace, Part 1

Here it is...blocked and unpinned:
And here's what I found...I was remiss in measuring the swatch pre-pinning to block. :(

So...Pinned the width of the swatch is 14.25 inches and the height to the point is 7 inches. This is through the first repeat of 24 rows of the body chart. I had 14 stitches over 4 inches (knit on size 3 Addi Lace needles).

Now. When I unpinned, here is what I had: 13.75 inches wide and 6.5 inches high. Hmm...Unpinned there was a "bounce-back factor" that was 1/2 an inch in each direction. I've seen that happen with natural merino, tho' I have to admit I didn't measure the difference. But 1/2 an inch doesn't seem unusual in my mind...what do you think?

I'm really pleased with the results of this little test. I adore the pattern - isn't Anne's pattern just gorgeous? (ok...nothing she does is anything less than gorgeous, I know!).

And I love The Meezer colorway. I think I'm going to continue on with this as is.

And, last night and today, I knit a second swatch of lace done in Socks That Rock. I used the Traveling Vines pattern from Dogs Steal Yarn. She's moved her blog and the pattern isn't there any longer...but I did find the lace pattern in the first Barbara Walker Treasury - just add 3 garter stitches on each side to keep the scarf from curling, and edge top and bottom with 5 garter rows. I hope she puts her pattern back up soon! It's a lovely one...

I did two repeats of the pattern (and shortened the garter border top and bottom to 3 rows. It's blocking now. I've measured it, too - 22 stitches over 4 inches on size 5 Knitpicks Harmony needles...

I'll show that to you later in the week and see what I think of the "bounce-back" on that one!

This is interesting...I can't wait to see what Judy finds in her results!
(((hugs)))

7 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

That doesn't sound any more dramatic than bounce-back I've gotten from other yarns (except silk, which doesn't so much bounce, as stretch lengthwise beyond all expectation, while refusing to hold a widthwise block; or maybe that's just me). I'm so glad you're going to knit it in that yarn -- I love the way it's turning out!

12:23 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

I think the bounce back is inevitable. So, it seems like superwash is an okay option for lace knitting.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Opal said...

It looks fabulous! I think the experiment was a success!

6:57 AM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Yeah! The Meezer yarn lands on its feet! I am so happy you can make up the shawl in this special yarn! :)

10:03 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

It looks great and I do LOVE the color! Looking forward to seeing you at Sedalia Fiber Festival this weekend!

1:51 PM  
Blogger kat said...

I think it looks fine & a half inch is really not that much

6:35 PM  
Blogger Barbara-Kay said...

Glad you're carrying on - it's lovely!

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!