knitnana: A Hint of Spring!
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Sunday, March 09, 2008

A Hint of Spring!

Frustratingly, Blogger isn't letting me upload photos tonight, so I'm hoping that using Flickr will be okay...We'll soon see!

I spent the day prewashing fabrics, cutting bags, and doing a bit of knitting...
Helsinki_n_BigSisSock
I've been spending most of my time on Helsinki Hat Scarf (this Lambs Pride Bulky is yummy!) and on Big Sis's sock (well, yes, it's yummy, too!)...
ModerneLogCabin1
And in the evening before bed, I let myself work a bit on the Moderne Log Cabin in Mission Falls 1824 wool. Hmm...I sense a trend, as this yarn is also yummy as can be...and I just LOVE the garter stitch. Watching a movie on Lifetime tonight, I was able to devote myself completely to the story, and knit away - I got so much done!

In addition, I finally acted on a decision that's been beating around the edges of my mind for months now: I gave up my knails. Yes, they were pretty, yes, I enjoyed them. I won't say I won't go back to them. But I've had them since a week after I quit smoking. Their purpose was served: I remained quit, and I kept having the knails done to ensure it.

There's no longer a doubt in my mind that I will stay quit after 4 years. I've been thru a lot of challenges and smoking didn't lure me back because I finally realized that it didn't help me deal with hard or stressful times, they only compounded them. Go back to cigarettes? *HELL-NO!*

But the amount of time and money it took for me to have the manicure every two to three weeks (and I usually tried to push it to three) was an issue for me. I'd no sooner get the manicure and I'd start working on bags...the steam from the iron would melt the edges of the mani and I'd feel as if the money I'd spent was wasted. It didn't jive with my basic philosophy of voluntary simplicity, and with the cost of everything going up and up every day? Well, I couldn't justify it anymore.

And one main reason? Yarn is more important to me. There. The truth is out. I care more about the fiber running thru my fingers than the fingers being pretty in the process!!! I want the money I spent on my knails to go for knitting!
lolol

Like I said, I might start doing them again sometime. But not right now. After spending the evening soaking all the stuff off and shaping my nails again, well, they deserve a breather. We'll see how I feel down the road! (right now, they just feel tender)

I did walk outside my door once today and took this photo for you...They've been out for about a week, perhaps longer...
3_9_08spring I know Jane didn't believe me when I told her about it awhile ago...

But they're real. I just love daffodils. And we have purple crocus, as well as the white ones, too.

Can spring be very far off?

5 Comments:

Blogger Geraldine said...

What a great post Sallee! And congrats on remaining smoke free, well done. I've never been a smoker (except for high school but didn't everyone then?) but I know it can be tough to stay smoke free.

Your daffodils are lovely. At one time I lived on Daffodil Cr. but sadly, it wasn't until much later in the year there that we ever saw a daffodil LOL.

Huggs, G

12:41 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

I've gone back and forth with the fake nails but every time I think about putting them back on I talk myself out of it. The money, the time spent on the upkeep, and the idea of living simply are always what keeps me on this side of the nail salon door.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

The Helsinki hat scarf is really pretty! It just looks yummy... Congrats on remaining smoke free ...I see some beautiful yarn in your future! :)

10:36 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

The hat scarf is coming along nicely. I bet it will be done just in time for summer! Isn't that how it goes?

Congrats on being smoke-free and moving on from there. I think yarn is much more important than pretty fingernails!

3:48 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

Congratulations on remaining smoke-free for 4 years! I totally understand giving up the knails for yarn. It's all about priorities. :)

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!