knitnana: I'm Back! And Have Pictures!
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Monday, February 21, 2011

I'm Back! And Have Pictures!

Oh! Did you realize I was gone? Well, I was...I left Friday to wend my way to Washington DC (or rather nearby, in Alexandria, Virginia) to visit my Big Sis and spend a day doing something I've wanted to do for months. (Please forgive me this is photo-heavy)

Saturday morning we boarded the Metro (which, btw, thanks very much, WMATA, for scheduling maintenance on the track for the VERY weekend I was there!) and rode to the Metro Center stop, then found the Shuttle they were running (free, but that's the least they could have done) and after a bit of a misstep - yes, WMATA, you'll hear about this from us - finally made it to the Federal Triangle stop by way of the L'Enfant Plaza stop (don't ask, those of you familiar know that the stops don't work quite that way)...and then, braving 50 mph wind gusts, we scurried down the street and around the corner and into - oh, wait, I forgot lunch in the basement of the Old Post Office and the neatest little Indian stall...oh it was wonderful, dal curry and rice...yum!! - but I digress. We scurried into The Smithsonian Natural History Museum for The Hyperbolic Crochet Coral Reef show:

The main display is huge...

and colorful...

with "Please Do Not Touch" signs all around it (do you have any idea how hard it was NOT to reach in and touch?)
Then surrounding the main reef were several cases with smaller reefs...

Including this totally amazing one, of all heavily beaded coral (I love the ones down in front, all purples, blues, and forest greens)

It's so hard to describe all of this, and the photos first of all, don't do near the justice the exhibit deserves...

Not to mention that my camera batteries were dying...I was shutting the camera off...letting the juice settle, then turning it on to photo again...whether that affected the reds/yellows/oranges or whether it would have done that anyway (the colors don't do well on camera, that I know), please forgive that the true colors aren't all here...

Then there was the white, dying reef...

with this incredible starfish...

And my sister had to take a photo of me, you know...in front of the reef:

My very favorite reef, tho' was this little one

set down in the bottom corner of one of the cases. I am very sorry this didn't come out as clearly as I'd have liked it to but the batteries were almost dead, and after this shot, gave out completely.

After the show, we found our way back to the Metro Center stop, ran into Macy's and spent a little money on some clothing my local Macy's doesn't carry...and then off we went to Old Town Alexandria, for dinner at La Madeleine's...

On Sunday we shopped fabric stores galore and then ran by Fiber Space which is totally new to me. I was devastated when I learned that Knit Happens had closed, but I'll be delighted to stop by Fiber Space whenever I'm in town - what fun, and thank you Leslie for showing us around. Oh, by the way, they have Jared's Shelter Yarn which is just yummy, and many more yarns that called out my name...I was good, and only bought one skein of sock yarn (yes).

My sister and I had a delightful weekend and I left mid-day today (after shopping a few more places for fabric)...as I drove down the George Washington Parkway headed towards Mount Vernon (which I'll rethink if I'm ever there on President's Day again!) I stopped long enough to snap a shot (new batteries!) of the skyline over the Potomac River:
a front moving in, bringing snow to them tonight, colder temps to us in the morning tomorrow...

OH! I almost forgot:

I finished the Meeting St. Mittens last night, just in time to warm my hands in the chilly damp weather today! YAY!

If you have the chance and can get to the Smithsonian? Go see the Hyperbolic Crochet Coral Reef. It's there into April.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you all had a good time.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

I'm going in two weeks!

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Lotte84 said...

Wow, it looks like you guys had so much fun!! The coral reef seems amazing :D

3:06 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Thanks for all the great coral reef pics. Your mittens look terrific!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Oh, wow wow wow! What an absolutely amazing exhibit!! I wish I had an excuse to get to DC before it leaves (or that it would come out here, either one). So very cool - I'm so glad you took so many pictures (in spite of the batteries)! And I'm glad that you had a good weekend; it sounds like it was filled with fun things (including those lovely mittens!!). Welcome back :)

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure I won't get there, unfortunately. Can you give some background? Is it the work of one person, or more? How long did it take to create? If the photos are great, the real thing must have been awesome!
Janet

12:44 PM  
Anonymous twinsetellen said...

I DID wonder where you were hiding. I'm glad it was somewhere fun.

I likely won't make it to the exhibit, so thank you for sharing it with us!

8:36 AM  
Blogger 17th stitch said...

What an amazing museum exhibit! I'm glad you took all those pictures because I won't have a chance to see the exhibit itself.

And the mittens look fabulous!

4:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! I had no idea this was going on, and wish I had more time to plan a trip there! I have never been to the Smithsonian, and I probably won't see this display, but hopefully I'll go soon =)

Thanks for the nudge ;)

3:46 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Love all the Smithsonian museums. That coral reef is amazing.

Nice Meeting St Mittens!!

I can't believe they had maintenance that weekend. Isn't that always the way? Sounds like a fabulous trip.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

That was pretty amazing!! Love you mittens too.

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!