knitnana: NaKniMitMo and So On...
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

NaKniMitMo and So On...

It's January, and you may not see a lot of me this month, as it's my busiest of the year. And as if my normal stuff isn't enough, I set myself a few goals for this new year, one of which is to participate in NaKniMitMo (National Knit Mittens Month!).

(Over on Nana Sadie's Place I'm talking about food, financial, and community/environmental plans, so if knitting bores you - or if those other topics interests you, please do stop by?)

I started my Meeting St. Mittens last night...

but having just photoed them to show you, I realize that the change I made to make them smaller (instead of 64 sts, I reduced to 48, because my hands are SMALL) has flubbed up the nice boxed effect of the two sock yarns, so this

isn't there any longer (I frogged it). I'll try dropping back on the needle size, but I'm not so sure I think that will make enough of a difference - The above is knit on US 3s, maybe I need 1s?

On a happier note, my last knitting-related order arrived today (bought in 2010):

I have fallen in love with Inggun, a lovely fitted and cabled vest. I'm not ready to knit it, but wanted the pattern available. There's also a great hat and mittens pattern in there so who knows....I might have to make those!

But the real treat in that order?

The Wintry Mix Mitts yarn in the colorway that's featured on the pattern...navy blue, white, and lavender Berroco Ultra Alpaca Light.

You would never have guessed that I'd fall for such colors, now would you? *wink*

I suspect that once again, I've bitten off more than I can chew. I may not even get one pair of mittens (or mitts) finished this month. Did I mention how busy January is?

Still...I like options. (Oh, yeah, I've got options - you should see my queue on Ravelry - I have more mittens there than it's humanly possible for me to wear in my entire lifetime! But then, that didn't stop my sock knitting compulsion, now did it?)
(((hugs)))

9 Comments:

Anonymous twinsetellen said...

Your hands and feet are going to be very well covered.

I have been thinking about mittens lately, too. The new Knit Picks catalog has a wonderful winter scenes kit with 6, yes 6!, pairs of mitten to knit for under $40. There is a wonderful new colorwork book featuring mitts and hats with nature motifs that I saw yesterday, too. Now your post...hmmm, is the universe trying to tell me something?

I think I'll try to hold out and watch you as I have some other knitting on my mind, too, but we'll see...

12:54 AM  
Blogger KnitYoga said...

Love the look of those mittens! Can't wait to see your version! Happy New Year! x

2:20 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Those are both gorgeous mittens!! I particularly love that first pair - I may need to find some yarn for that myself (like I need more to knit). :) I think setting goals is good, even if it's a rough month, especially if you're patient with yourself if you don't quite make it - just trying is huge! :)

7:02 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Mittens are irresistible, especially this time of year.

Dang it, I keep forgetting you have two blogs. I think I'm caught up and I'm not! And I'm in cont ed for two days and I should be asleep now. But I hate getting so far behind.

1:17 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Beautiful mittens! I haven't joined yet, but definitely joined in... and then the Knit Picks catalog arrived with the kit for SIX of the most creative and beautiful designs I have ever seen! There might be more mittens in my future too.

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your sparkly yarn for mittens so much!!

3:31 PM  
Blogger Geraldine said...

The mittens look great, complicated!!!

Hope you and the gang are having a great weekend, G

2:36 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Those mittens will be beautiful whenever you get them done. *hugs* :)

8:45 AM  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

I'm not sure I can tell what was wrong with the first mitten effort. Methinks you're too hard on yourself.

The colors in the kit are sweet!

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!