knitnana: Don't Send Out a Search Party!
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Friday, March 05, 2010

Don't Send Out a Search Party!

I haven't gone anywhere.

But I think I've been overwhelmed by the huge push to achieve in the Knitting Olympics.

I have knit very little this week. I worked a little on Helsinki (not enough to show you) and a bit on my Ishbel:

Oh! You should see Ruinwen's Ishbel! Go look, I'll wait.

Isn't it lovely?

I toyed with colors for a Selbu Modern hat (Ravelry link) but haven't gotten much further than the initial cast on...not sure I love the colors so...(sigh)

This week I've spent a couple of nights in yoga class, a morning just about losing it with a doctor who insists that yoga forward bends will destroy my back (which just blows my mind...aren't we further ahead that this?), and of course, there's been work and all the normal stuff I do.

But tonight, Sis-in-law and I took ourselves out for dinner at Olive Garden. I can happily eat their soup (Pasta e Fagioli), salad (with reduced fat dressing on the side), 1.5 breadsticks and a glass of Merlot for 10 points and be satisfied as can be!

I also had a gift certificate from Christmas to spend at Bed Bath & Beyond, so there were a few new kitchen things to bring home.

But then I went completely nuts at Marshalls. Three new tops, yoga togs, a yoga mat, and this:

I desperately needed a new coldish weather jacket - my winter parka is 15 years old and suitable for a 1X plus-sized lady. It has served me well, but I'm a medium now.

I loved this jacket and the price was more than right. It's not heavy enough for true winter gales (it's microfiber), but it's great for mid-range temps.

I have a serious dilemma tho'.

What pattern is tailored and elegant enough to make up for a scarf, a hat, and gloves? And what yarn? I love the taupe in this, but...have you seen any taupe yarn? Probably fingering eh? Cables? Lace?

I am madly in love with Cherry Tree Hill's Supersocke Select in Birches (all the Vermont influence notwithstanding). I'd love to see the yarn in person, tho' because I'm not sure if it's black, beige, greys and taupes, or if there's some olive mixed in...? It might be a bit busy, too.

In my stash, tho', I have this:

(It's Claudia sock yarn in the colorway Leopard. I have only 350 yards. But there's still some available, so I could probably get more. What do you think of a Chevron Scarf with an ivory/beige/taupe mixed in with this?)

Or should I just scrap it and find something in one color? Taupe? Black?

Suggestions? Tell me to hush and forget it, handknits just won't work? (Ok...no one who seriously reads this blog and knits will tell me that, right? RIGHT?)
lolol

7 Comments:

Blogger teabird said...

Go for the ivory/variegated combination - it will be wonderful! (I did read Ruinwen's post - not only is the shawl beautiful, but the message of the post is really, really well done!)

12:44 AM  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

You've obviously been busy living, and that's the important thing. I am glad you are doing well.

7:34 AM  
Anonymous twinsetellen said...

Oh, I think the Leopard would be great. That yarn knits so nicely, one of my very favorites, and with the solid jacket colors, the handpaint will be stunning. I actually have a bit of that colorway - it the bomb! A local shop had some more of it a couple of weeks ago - let me know if you have trouble sourcing any extra you need.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

I agree with twinsetellen - the variegated would go well with the coat & liven it up. Plus nothing says that you couldn't have a couple coordinating scarves to change the look - more fun knitting. KnitPicks has a wonderful selection of browns/taupes/beiges http://www.knitpicks.com/cfyarns/yarn_colors_list.cfm?id=30013010

11:06 AM  
Blogger Geraldine said...

I love reading about all that you do Sallee, what an inspiration you are! Oh what fun, buying/making new (and smaller)clothes, hooray again. There are so many colors that would work, I'm not going to pick any. I guess it depends on the mood of the day! ;<)

Tell Meez that the Ched is posting today, over at Veggies...

Have a great weekend, G

12:50 PM  
Blogger Geraldine said...

PS: Ruinwen's shawl is to die for!!!! :<)

12:58 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Thanks for the mention. :)
Your Ishbel is stunning...I love the purples! :)

I think the leopard print will be lovely with your new jacket. I love her yarn it is so soft and the colors are vivid.

knitandtonic has this today that looks like a fun knit as well as a wonderful neck warmer. http://www.knitandtonic.net/knitandtonic/2010/03/dream-swatch-duo-available-now.html

*hugs*
:)

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!