knitnana: Finished - Vest-uary!
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Finished - Vest-uary!

Yes, it's really done, my very first article of clothing that's not a pair of socks.
My First Vest. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that my co-worker LD took these photos for me, for which I'm very grateful!

I used virtually every single speck of the five skeins of Noro Iro that I had (okay, there might be as much as a yard left, but barely)...
I'm delighted with the knit (who can be upset about garter?), and with the fact that it was easy. I'm less delighted in the requirement for such a large size (there is no one to blame for that but me!)...but the pattern goes up to 58, and I wasn't near that...I do think I could have deducted a few inches and been safe (I made a 44), but the instructions to measure one of your favorite sweaters at the bustline, might not have been the best advice for me. I took it to heart, and I really think I could have done well with a 40 (or maybe I'm terribly vain and out of touch with reality about my size! Could be, but I'll wear it to Knit Night sometime and see what the gals think about that!)

I used my Knitpicks Harmony's - the size 11 interchangeables. I started on February 4 and finished sewing it up last night. Hopefully, my hand sewing of the seams will suffice, as I surely wouldn't consider it a fine job by any stretch of the imagination. You can't tell it from the photo (tho' you can click to embiggen), but there is quite a bit of color in the yarn (the colorway is 63) - there's the taupe, which is fairly obvious, and the black and gray, but there's also navy, and emerald green and a plum to match the turtleneck top I'm wearing underneath. In all, a lovely yarn...I was lucky to get this yarn at Little Knits during a 50% off sale so it wasn't as pricey as it might have been! I love Noro, but it's not cheap!

Will I knit another garment? Well, since I already have 3 sweaters worth in stash, I guess I'll have to! Either that, or make a LOT of large shawls in worsted weight!! Hmm...I could do that, actually, since I love Folk Shawls! And the one thing you can say about Cheryl's shawls is, due to her 6-foot frame, they're big!

The UPS man arrived today bringing my knitting book order:

I'd hoped to get them from Knitpicks, but they were out of stock on the Knitted Lace of Estonia. So I ordered from Amazon.

I've been asked again about CC, and I think I'll just say that she seems to be hanging in there and better than she was last week...I'm still afraid to say too much, as she's so tiny and frail, I just don't want to jinx it. If you look cross-eyed at her, she keels over from the weight! Ok, that might be an exaggeration, but if she runs off into the kitchen for her dinner or treat, you have to stay back from her, or she really will lose her balance and trip on her own paws. I don't like to then have to toss my own weight to another direction to avoid tripping on her! I guess I can relate: after all, I used to be able to barrel around doing all sorts of things that can now cause a fall or disequilibrium when I least expect it...you don't suppose "old age" hits us all, pretty much the same way, do you?

*wink*

11 Comments:

Blogger Ariel said...

Absolutely beautiful first article of clothing!!!!

9:23 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

That vest looks marvelous! What a great knit -- I bet you'll wear it a ton. And great minds think alike; I just picked up the Knitted Lace book myself (love it), and The Knitter's Book of Yarn is one of my very all-time favorite knitting books EVER. I'm glad CC's hanging in there.

10:27 PM  
Blogger margene said...

You knit that up quickly! Love the way it looks on you. Nice work!!

11:15 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

I love that vest and it looks great on you. Great job! I look forward to seeing you next sweater. ;)

1:05 AM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

Your vest is great! Congratulations on finishing it so quickly. The plum in the turtle neck picks up the color in the vest even without enlarging the photo and the lines are very flattering. {{{HUGS}}}

8:16 AM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

The vest looks fab on you! Such a beautiful knit! :)

8:27 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

The vest looks absolutely wonderful -- well done!!

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your vest - a great knit! (and quickly, too!)

12:33 PM  
Blogger Corinne said...

Wow, I love the vest....it looks beautiful on! Great job for a first piece of clothing!! I am sending your package out after work today....Enjoy!
~Corinne

12:40 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

You did a marvelous job! The vest looks excellent on you!

6:37 AM  
Blogger Geraldine said...

Wonderful Sallee! I love vests. You've done a great job with this one. Hugs, G

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!