knitnana: Start of the Holiday Weekend...
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Start of the Holiday Weekend...

My Friday was today. With the cat show NEXT weekend, I will spend the entire 4 days off sewing and I'm not sorry about that. But I will be very, very busy!

Want to see some pretties?
Two Knitnanas - one from brand new fabric (the red one) and one from "vintage as can be, out of print, no hope of ever seeing it again" fabric (the white one).
And two more Knitnanas, both of these fabrics out of print, only limited amounts left and I'll not hold my breath that I can ever see them again, either! (sigh) All the best prints disappear just a little too fast for my tastes!

And then, there's this:
For almost a year, I've coveted the Valkyrie colorway in the Raven series...and I kept looking for a shawl I wanted to make in fingering weight yarn.

What I love about Valkyrie, besides the obvious colors (and that it's STR, of course) is the text that accompanies the description of the colorway - Midwife of change. She will walk with you up to that door and be your witness as you walk through it.

Midlife has been an empowering time for me. I started a business, learned ever more about love, friendship, and family, but especially have learned about myself in the process...the colors of Valkyrie - saturated black, brown/rust, and plum - compliment my color preferences as well as my current lifestage. I wanted a shawl that would be affirming of that, enveloping, warm, and somewhat lacy. I didn't want one that would make me crazy to knit it...a satisfying knit, please? Some months ago, I knit and blocked a swatch of STR and discovered that indeed its lace would block (as did Judy, but her blog entry about it was so good, I never bothered to post about it!). So my goal was to find a shawl pattern that would reflect my Crone status, and be comforting as well as striking.

Abigail, who has been more likely to inspire me to discloths and socks than shawls, was knitting Seraphim (the Ravelry link; click Mim's site if you're not on Ravelry!). After very little thought, acting completely on my gut reaction that it would be perfect, I ordered it.

(and then ordered the yarn)

It arrived today. The colors in the yarn are identical to my computer monitor's representation of the colors. I'm delighted. I emailed BMFA to let them know.

So while some of you may think it odd that a 52-year old woman is considering the creation of a shawl to celebrate her Cronehood, that is exactly what I'm doing. I envision that this shawl pattern and yarn are the perfect combination, it's quite heavy with symbolism to me.

She won't be started for a bit...there are other WIPs to complete, and a show or two on the agenda, but my Valkyrie Seraphim is a landmark piece on my queue...She'll be my fall-thru-winter project - perfect for a woman recognizing that she's entering her personal autumnal stage.
Blessed Be.

6 Comments:

Blogger Pam! said...

Autumn rocks!! And so does Cronehood ... I'm looking for to that stage immensely.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

The Crone stage of life is one that should be honored with pomp and circumstance, and it looks to me like you've found the way to do it! I love the idea of knitting something that will allow you to wrap yourself in the majesty of your status (and here's where I admit that I've always felt a bit closer to that stage of life than any other; perhaps it's the teacher in me?). Blessed be!

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Odd? You do number a large group of knitters in your acquaintance, do you not? A shawl to celebrate cronedom is erfect. Mim's designs are so beautiful too. Valkyrie is just the perfect name for the yarn.

Now sew! Sew like the wind! Those new shoes are going to be a blessing at the cat show.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

OMG, your Seraphim is going to be gorgeous!

I love those rich dark earthy tones in the wool you choose.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Geraldine said...

Pam's got it right...Autumn does rock! My fav season. I like how you've described certain colors being meaningful and favs in this time of your life Sallee, very interesting. I find that I'm freer with color choices now. No more black phases LOL (remember those?) I like it bright and bold now most days. I'm a 'winter' on the color palette so those colors, I gravitate too.

Your shawl is going to be amazing.

Hugs to you and the gang,G and the gang

4:50 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Proud to be an experienced woman. That's the essence. Love the shawl to honor that.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!