knitnana: Uncle!
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Uncle!

It's a darn good thing I don't make a living knitting socks.

Anyone following the saga of my version of SOS '08 Wendy's Seaweed Socks done in STR Hot Flash by BMFA will probably feel my pain here. I think the Plantar's Fasciitis has done me in.

Here...the FIFTH attempt to knit this heel:
Beautiful, isn't it? I LOVE this heel...it's so darn pretty.

It's the FIFTH time I've knit it (okay, not quite, I caught myself this morning when I made my forth attempt, before I'd gotten to this lovely slip stitching of the heel and ripped out the mess I was making of the short rows. At least I didn't have to go back too far. But.

Five times I've attempted this. The foot was too short originally. I did add to it. This time, I suspect I shouldn't have knit the gusset deeper (I went to the medium). The length is fine, tho'. Still, perhaps there's a pattern here - five doctor visits from Monday thru Saturday, five times knitting this heel? lol!

Please note, this is my REAL heel (yes, it's the one that got shot, but I don't think that has anything to do with it...and you can't even see the little bruise from the needle - I'm sensitive to my readers squeamishness!)
Can you read that ruler?
Can you read this one?

Sigh. The heel is WAY too wide for my foot. There's too much fabric to be comfortable in my shoes.

I give up.

UNCLE!

I will commence ripping, and will knit the heel using the heel I know fits. It has taken me way too long to knit these socks (and this is just the first one!). This time, I'll knit what I know works...and keep the pretty lace pattern.

I'm really hoping that my personal calendar considers that today is the LAST day of LAST week, and not the FIRST day of THIS week! (Sorta like the Day Runner calendar, ya' know?)

I just have to laugh. Crying makes not a whit of sense. And after all, it's JUST knitting, right!?!

7 Comments:

Blogger Plain Jane said...

You know that I'm knitting my standard sock pattern (heel thanks to you with a change of where the decreases go) and just borrowing Wendy's Seaweed lace stitch with the addition of one purl stitch to make it a 10 stitch repeat.. So far, so good. I think we have to stick with patterns that we know work and adapt stitch patterns like the Seaweed to what we do best!! {{{HUGS}}}

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I always feel free to insert the toe and heel I know and love. In fact, I knit even Wendy's sock patterns cuff-down.

Rebel here, happy with results.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

I'll stick to my standard sock. It's boring but it always fits. :-)

8:21 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Yes -- keep chanting "it's just knitting", sometimes it helps (although not always). I say go for the heel that you know works; I generally knit my own heels and toes into my socks, since I know what tends to be right for me. The yarn is gorgeous, and I know you'll love them when they're done!

11:27 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

I'm sorry that you have had so much going on the last few days, and oh ick on the shot to the heel! The socks on the other hand will be fabulous when done and you will definitely enjoy their bright cheerful color this winter. I always think about it this way, when I'm having a particularly bad knitting experience, what would I be doing if this one were perfect? I'd be knitting something else and after all it doesn't so much matter what I'm knitting as long as I am knitting something! You'll get there and it will be fabulous dahhling!! :0))

1:39 PM  
Blogger kat said...

Oh that is so frustrating! I've been knitting a sweater & have started it over 5 times too!

5:13 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

Oh how frustrating. I wonder if smaller needles for just the heel would have worked.

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!