knitnana: What Would We Do Without The Internet?
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

What Would We Do Without The Internet?

I have heard from a family member of the woman who spun & dyed the yellow/green yarn my sis-in-law brought me from Switzerland! I'm so excited to hear from him (he could write to me in English and so was charged with the reply).

So I'm reproducing some of the email here:

Hope, I can stop now your curiosity which may kills you (according to the blog you wrote ;-) ). The yarn is made of 35% linen and 65% silk. A company in the inner part of Switzerland makes the raw material which comes from China (silk) and Ireland (linen). (She) sells the product in 100 gramms portion which is approx. 250 meters
The color is a 50%/50% product of organic and synthetic origin therefore the color goes mostly into the silk and so you get the special structure and you will not smell the silk (as it is covered with color) but the linen.


Many, many thanks for the information! I now know I have approximately 275 yards to work with, and that I've truly learned much in the three years since beginning again to knit - I guessed there was linen in this yarn, and I could not smell the silk, tho' I didn't know why! But you realize when I started knitting again, folks, that the "best" yarn I'd worked with was - gasp! - Lion Homespun! And I couldn't even begin to identify quality yarns at all...

The internet is a miraculous place. I know it has it's pitfalls, but in this new year, so full, now, of promise, I'm so grateful to see how quickly information can travel, how small, really the world is. And how considerate people are!

We're very lucky to know each other, all of us in the blogland world, you know?

edited to add In the post down below, where I show the tag that came with the yarn, you might notice an email address written vertically up the middle? Tan suggested I email, and I did. This all came as a reply to that email - Sorry, Dave! I guess it's not quite as amazing as it might seem at first glance!
((((hugs))))

7 Comments:

Blogger Birdsong said...

What a great story! I just love the details behind such things, and you are so right... the Internet has made it possible to make these bigger connections and enrich our experiences.

1:16 PM  
Blogger teabird said...

It's a wonderful story - and the Internet is a miraculous thing!

2:27 PM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

I'm glad you found the answer. The Internet is indeed wonderful - how else would those of us with similar interests from all over the country meet and get to be friends?

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The internet really is an amazing thing. I found that my dad actually reads my blog, and shows it to his friends that come to visit. And an old friend from high school found it, too, and finally wrote to me. It' amazing!
Oh, and that yarn mystery? Must be a relief to have it solved.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Tan said...

That's really cool. I have a silk and linen blend that I got from Knit-Purl. I believe it is from Handmaiden. So we will have to see how it knits up and blocks.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

That's amazing! Did he say how he found out that you were looking for information?

6:26 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

How great that you found out all those details about the yarn! The Internet truly is a marvelous thing.

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!