knitnana: In Advance of the Oncoming Winter Storm...
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Friday, December 14, 2007

In Advance of the Oncoming Winter Storm...

We're in line to see at least some of the N'oreaster that will be wreaking havoc on the Northeast this weekend, but I'm grateful that what we get will no doubt be gone by the first of the week, at least around here. Today was gorgeous, upper 50s and sunny. Of course, I had to work.

But tomorrow an ice storm cometh, hitting in late afternoon and overnight. Depending on conditions being absolutely right, we could get as much as a 1/2" of ice. Then Sunday the winds will be up to 50 mph. In short? This might be the last post you see from me for a bit! But I'll be back...as soon as the power comes back on!

So...Debi started something with "A Few of My Favorite Things" the other day, so I thought perhaps you'd like to know what I might come up with?

It goes without saying that knitting and sewing are two of my very most favorite ways to spend my time and that classical music and opera fill many happy hours.

The Meezer is at the top of my list, the grandkids, too.

Ever since I was very young, I've been madly in love with cardinals. It's the state bird, of course, but I'm madly, wildly in love with red and to my mind, there is nothing more beautiful than a snow covered field full of evergreens with cardinals flitting across it. The birds amaze me, mating for life, and sharing equally in the raising of as many as three nests of babies over a single season. I spent a couple of years watching a pair and their families mature in my mom's backyard. It's one of my favorite memories...(umm..why yes, there are many, many cardinals in the ornaments on my Christmas tree, how did you ever guess?)

I fell in love with Lenox's Winter's Greetings about the time I was learning so much about cardinals and so I started collecting the china. Now I've fallen for the stoneware, too.

So I was completely blown away not long ago, when I received a request for a Posy Sock Sack made in a fabric that I immediately thought was reminiscent of my Winter Greetings china. This lovely fabric is Winter Holiday by Hoffman International - and this Posy is about to be mailed off to some lucky someone for the holidays!


When the fabric arrived, I thought, hmmm...ought to go buy more - this is stunning! I can envision a table runner or placemats in that fabric, can't you? with deep forest green napkins...

Tomorrow, before the storm hits, I'll be down in the basement looking for my lone oil lamp! Because if I can't sew, or work on my client's books on the computer this weekend? Well, I guess I'll just have to knit by the light of the lamp and candles!

What a hardship that will be...*wink*
(((hugs)))

8 Comments:

Blogger Opal said...

Oh that fabric really is very lovely. Stay warm and safe!

11:57 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I hope your lamp puts out enough heat to keep your hands moving!

1:02 AM  
Blogger Pam! said...

oh for pete's sake! I've been trying so hard not to think too much about a new bag but this fabric has put me over the edge. I too love cardinals ... my Grandma was a collector and I guess I caught the fever from her. I have several who live & play in my backyard and I just love to spot one. It makes me think of her.
I must go look at bags ....

7:59 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

I love that fabric too! I have a few cross stitched pieces around here with cardinals, I love em too!

When I lived in Va, I loved watching the cardinals in the snow myself...cardinals in palm trees loses something in the translation :)

4:05 PM  
Blogger Meg Wolff said...

I love cardinals too, but we don't see many here on the coast of Maine. When I do it is a great excitement.

How can I order that cardinal bag? My mother-in-law would love it too.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

I love that bag!!!

We get an ice storm about once a year here. It rarely snows...we just go straight to the ice storm and then the next week it is 80 degrees...go figure.

10:55 AM  
Blogger kat said...

hope you survive the storm ok...funny here in Minnesota the weathermen are sort of making fun of how big a deal it is the the northeast, guess we are jaded by snow here ;)

12:00 PM  
Blogger Geraldine said...

Beautiful purse Sallee, love the cardinal. I also love cardinals. Many years ago, walking home on the Prairies, on a cold winter day, I saw a 'patch' of brilliant red, in front of me, in the fresh snow. I was hoping it wasn't blood. It was, amazingly, a cardinal, lost on its way to somewhere warm, Im guessing. The beautiful bird was fine, he walked around a bit and then flew away. I stood in wonder. We do NOT see cardinals on the Prairies, winter or summer. It was amazing.

PS When you have time, can you resend me that info. re: fabric labels? Thanks.

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!