knitnana: How It All Began...
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Monday, July 02, 2007

How It All Began...

Almost 3 years ago, I was in a funk, not able to do the handwork that was my stress-relief and stressing about just what auto-immune disease they would finally settle on as being "the one" that had cost me a great deal of my quality of life.

So I decided to pull out my 30 year old sewing machine and make a bag. And the pattern I used I hated. So I made my own. At a July 4 holiday party, I discovered that it was something a lot of people really liked. Big Sis and I had tried for years to find something that worked well as a handbag, and could never find it. I took what we both liked and created something that worked. Really well. And...

Nana Sadie Rose was born. It was about a year later before I landed a website thanks to my daughter's ability in graphics design (I did sell on ebay for awhile, but mostly it was word of mouth and craft shows).

Along the way, I picked up knitting to pass the time at shows when things got slow, started this knit blog, met tons of new friends and customers, and got my life back.

I still have an auto-immune disease, but it's pretty much under control. And Nana Sadie Rose has blossomed into a part-time business that even I hadn't envisioned. Many of you have been along for the entire ride, have watched me grow as a knitter, seen me through two romantic disasters, helped me to see myself in a new light. Not to mention, a LOT of you are valued customers...

So...I kinda thought perhaps we'd have a little celebration. Whatcha think? More details tomorrow...

Come on Mom...everyone already knows all this. The suspense is killing us...Can't ya tell?

12 Comments:

Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

I'm excited! Sounds great!

You're doing GREAT!

8:57 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

aw.. congratulations!!!

9:03 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Hey, I've known you through all those times! And yes, you have blossomed as a knitter and a fabulous bag lady!!!! Keep at it!

9:06 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Sound good! congratulations! Knitting also helped to get me out of a funk about 6 years ago!

11:10 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

What an inspiring story. Congratulations on your success!

12:06 AM  
Blogger Will Pillage For Yarn said...

Well I missed the beginnings but I sure am glad I met you NOW. :-)

I taught myself to knit during a very difficult time. It truly can be a lifesaver.

12:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea that's how it all started. Thank you for sharing. The purse you made for me is still going strong!

12:25 AM  
Blogger teabird said...

I'm sorry I haven't known you from the beginning, but I'm glad I know you now (and that all of the bags I've bought are strong and healthy)!

namaste!

2:01 AM  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Life's a funny old bird, isn't it? Just when you think you're at your lowest point, another door opens.

Hugs to you, Sallee!

6:33 AM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Congrats on your success! Your bags are the best 'cuz you put your heart and soul into every one! :)

9:37 AM  
Blogger tina said...

What a really great (and inspiring) post.

Congrats and wild applause to YOU!

10:34 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I hav only just met you, but you are an inspiration to me! Especially today as I sit here with aching hands, wishing I could knit.....

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!