knitnana: How It All Began...

Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie Rose items!

Monday, July 02, 2007

How It All Began...

Almost 3 years ago, I was in a funk, not able to do the handwork that was my stress-relief and stressing about just what auto-immune disease they would finally settle on as being "the one" that had cost me a great deal of my quality of life.

So I decided to pull out my 30 year old sewing machine and make a bag. And the pattern I used I hated. So I made my own. At a July 4 holiday party, I discovered that it was something a lot of people really liked. Big Sis and I had tried for years to find something that worked well as a handbag, and could never find it. I took what we both liked and created something that worked. Really well. And...

Nana Sadie Rose was born. It was about a year later before I landed a website thanks to my daughter's ability in graphics design (I did sell on ebay for awhile, but mostly it was word of mouth and craft shows).

Along the way, I picked up knitting to pass the time at shows when things got slow, started this knit blog, met tons of new friends and customers, and got my life back.

I still have an auto-immune disease, but it's pretty much under control. And Nana Sadie Rose has blossomed into a part-time business that even I hadn't envisioned. Many of you have been along for the entire ride, have watched me grow as a knitter, seen me through two romantic disasters, helped me to see myself in a new light. Not to mention, a LOT of you are valued customers...

So...I kinda thought perhaps we'd have a little celebration. Whatcha think? More details tomorrow...

Come on Mom...everyone already knows all this. The suspense is killing us...Can't ya tell?

13 Comments:

Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

I'm excited! Sounds great!

You're doing GREAT!

8:57 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

aw.. congratulations!!!

9:03 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Hey, I've known you through all those times! And yes, you have blossomed as a knitter and a fabulous bag lady!!!! Keep at it!

9:06 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Sound good! congratulations! Knitting also helped to get me out of a funk about 6 years ago!

11:10 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

What an inspiring story. Congratulations on your success!

12:06 AM  
Blogger Will Pillage For Yarn said...

Well I missed the beginnings but I sure am glad I met you NOW. :-)

I taught myself to knit during a very difficult time. It truly can be a lifesaver.

12:21 AM  
Anonymous Kathy said...

I had no idea that's how it all started. Thank you for sharing. The purse you made for me is still going strong!

12:25 AM  
Blogger teabird said...

I'm sorry I haven't known you from the beginning, but I'm glad I know you now (and that all of the bags I've bought are strong and healthy)!

namaste!

2:01 AM  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Life's a funny old bird, isn't it? Just when you think you're at your lowest point, another door opens.

Hugs to you, Sallee!

6:33 AM  
Blogger Ruinwen said...

Congrats on your success! Your bags are the best 'cuz you put your heart and soul into every one! :)

9:37 AM  
Blogger tina said...

What a really great (and inspiring) post.

Congrats and wild applause to YOU!

10:34 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Congrats!!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I hav only just met you, but you are an inspiration to me! Especially today as I sit here with aching hands, wishing I could knit.....

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782