knitnana: <a href="http://page2amandareads.blogspot.com/2006/05/summer-reading-challenge-2006.html" target="_blank">Summer Reading Challenge 2006</a>
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Summer Reading Challenge 2006

Ok. So now I have new glasses and the reading is easier...But I'm still overwhelmed with knitting projects and a couple of shows I'm committed to for Nana Sadie Rose so I'm not going to make a challenge that's impossible to meet. I'm reading only from my own shelves and my public library, unless someone gives me a book for my birthday (which conveniently falls in the middle of this challenge!), because I've learned that for me buying books takes too much away from my knitting budget (unless they're knitting books...that's a whole different subject!). I'm committing to two books every 4 weeks and tossing in 2 more to the mix (just for good measure) for a total of 8 books over the summer. That's many, many less than I used to read...but better than I've done the past couple of years since the loss of my vision.

I will allow myself to read more, of course, if time permits. But in a way, that's gravy!

My list? At present it includes the following: The Book Club, The Other Boleyn Girl, Amy & Isabelle, Big Stone Gap, Big Cherry Holler, Milk Glass Moon, Murder on the Prowl (A Sneaky Pie Brown Purrrfect Mystery), and last but not least, Wuthering Heights, this last one of the books for Knit the Classics.

8 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I'm not even committing to the reading challenge! :) But I hear ya on the library and what's already on the shelf - that's what I do, too, unless I find a must-have for dirt cheap at the thrift store. $0.70 books are well within the budget!

10:04 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I don't know if I could commit to a reading challenge, although I have a huge stack of to-be-read books that it would be great to catch up on.

The Sneaky Pie books are fun, I haven't been able to keep up with them though.

10:51 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

I haven't read any of the others on your list, but I just love Jane Austen, and try to re-read at least one each summer - maybe I should read along with you on that one!

12:37 AM  
Blogger Jenny Raye said...

Ohhh, I'm reading the first Sneaky Pie book right now! Book challenge, did you say book challenge? back in the day before knitting entered my life I would have been all over it, but now......and to top it off, I ordered a beginning spinning kit. Reading, what's reading?!?!?

8:09 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I've joined that challenge, too. I need to MAKE time to read! I'm always glad when I do, it just seems to be the first thing I eliminate from my lengthy to-do-list. This will be a great challenge!

http:socks-for-mum.blogspot.com

11:49 AM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

The Other Boleyn Girl & the Mrs. Murphy (aka Sneaky Pie Brown) mysteries are very good reading. I'm not making a list because what I read will be determined by what catches my eye at the library. My main challenge is going to be updating my sidebar regularly with what I'm reading & have read - something I let lapse for the last couple months. If you're going to the library, check to see if they have a large print book section. Our local library has just doubled the size of theirs plus there's a good sized selection of large print books at the Senior Center. I don't have the vision problems that you do, but I still enjoy reading the large print versions as they cause less eye strain.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

i love to read also, but since i have so many projects to crochet, i never read anymore..

10:31 PM  
Blogger jennie said...

A reading challenge? sounds like a dream come true!! I've got tons of books here that I've not yet read (I keep buying faster than I can read!)

Thanks for stopping by my blog... to answer your question, I live in Dickenson County. Where in Va are you?

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!