knitnana: I'm Happy. Now.
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Friday, April 17, 2009

I'm Happy. Now.

I finally have my own copy of Wendy's book.
No thanks to Amazon.com, but I'll postpone my rant on that for a minute.

Here's the happy-making thing: You MUST get this book if you're a toe-up sock knitter. Even if you're not. If you want to be a toe-up sock knitter! If you just thought it might be interesting to try toe-up socks, you need this book! I love this book, I will probably make every pattern in this book at some point or another, and, believe it or not? There are TWO, count 'em, TWO heart-patterned socks in here...Whee!

But I've finally come to the conclusion that I will not, again, ever, buy from Amazon.com. I won't even be linking to Amazon.com anymore because...

Thanks to Chris I discovered IndieBound, the site for independent bookstores (and apparently more than just bookstores! YAY!)

I will be linking to them from now on.

I'll try to explain. I pre-ordered Wendy's book back in February. Amazon told me on Sunday that this book had shipped and would arrive on Wednesday. It didn't. In fact, all week it hasn't even been picked up on the USPS radar (other than the "Amazon told us they're going to be shipping this but we haven't received it yet"). It's sitting somewhere in Amazon's warehouse. But I got a canned reply to my complaint to Amazon, telling me to wait until the 24th before they did anything about it. This wasn't the first time I've had serious problems with shipping from Amazon.com. But it was the last time.

Fortunately, I discovered that my local bookseller had gotten the book in and I cancelled the order at Amazon and bought the book locally.

You see, I *heart* Wendy. But then, that's because she taught me to knit socks, courtesy of her blog (among many other things, including her support of my work, too). And she clued me in to Judy's Magic Cast On, which you all know I swear by.

I am a fan. Of Wendy. Of Judy. Of Chris. And now, of IndieBound.

But not, any longer, of Amazon.com

4 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

Glad you got the book! I wanted a good book on knitting socks toe-up as I haven't done it yet, and I thought nothing would be better than Wendy's book. My first perusal confirms that.

Mine arrived from amazon with no problem. I have mixed feelings about amazon versus indie book stores. Here we have two indie sellers in town, who won't do special orders unless you order a lot of books at a time, and they don't carry crafting books (not literary enough). I figure they want me to shop elsewhere. I've been such a fan of indie booksellers in other places I've lived, I was disappointed here.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

i'm so glad you got the book! i'm eagerly awaiting my copy from.. uhm... amazon. yeah. *fingers crossed* that it'll get here in a reasonable amount of time.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Go indies! :)

1:55 PM  
Blogger sandra said...

I've ordered the book - I need to finally conquer that toe up technique!

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!