knitnana: What I Have to Show For My Time...
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Saturday, May 19, 2007

What I Have to Show For My Time...

I think I mentioned that I've been having a fibro/Lupus flare - frankly this symptom is more fibro - and my right upper back has been in spasm since Wednesday morning when I made a left turn. Mind you it was my NORMAL left turn to make it off my street and go to work. I do this every morning. I did nothing different. But the back went nuts almost instantly, and I've been up a creek ever since...I managed this:

That is indeed the Steeler's Aibhlinn, frogged. I did not take out any aggressions on this yarn. It was all I could do to wind it into a ball, with my shoulder screaming at every move. Have no idea what I'll do with it, but it's lovely DK weight wool. There are 4 skeins of Knipicks Merino Style in black, and 2 skeins of Gold Cleckheaton Country 8 ply. Something will come to me, I'm sure...

Then, because I could not tolerate anything with any challenge (no lace these days), I started something for this year's NoSoKnit. This yellow yarn is plastic crap (sorry, but it's true) and is killing my hands - but it was donated for our use to make charity items so I suppose it must be used. I'm knitting it with a skein of fluffy fuzzy Shachenmayr Brazilia-Pompon in color Parti (I think it looks a lot like the leaves of celery!) in an attempt to make the knitting less painful. I can't do much at a time.



Oh. What IS it? A hat. I'm using the Dulaan Cloud Hat pattern. The pattern is terrific, the yarn? Not so much...Do they really think that people who receive charity items don't MIND that the crap yarn scratches and is HOT???

There is no excuse for crap yarn. None. There is perfectly GOOD acrylic yarn that's not expensive - Caron's Simply Soft immediately comes to mind.

The remainder of my charity knitting will be made from that!

Oh. Those are my Denise needles. They've already come apart in my hands once. I really should send them back for replacement - this has happened way too many times. I broke down last night and ordered 2 sizes of Addi Turbo circs in the 16 inch length for hats. Should I tell you how much more difficult it was to knit this crap yarn hat on my bamboos??? ROFLOL! I'm sure you can imagine.

Reading this I really do think I'm starting to sound like a needle and yarn snob...How FAR I've come in 3 years, huh?

Oh and yes, I know there's not much done on that hat. The doctor gave me muscle relaxers and pain meds. Can you say "La-La-Land?" Well, that's where I've been residing for the past several days...no sewing, no knitting, no blogging. (I promise, I'll come visit you all soon!)


Um...Mommie? Stop complaining and give me a Greenie!
(((hugs)))

9 Comments:

Blogger Opal said...

I'm so sorry to hear you've been having such a hard time of it. I hope you enjoy the pain killers and muscle relaxants while you have them though! ;-)

12:20 PM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

I hope you feel much better quickly!
You'll be in my prayers.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Here's my suggestion....throw that crap away!! It's not worth it if it's causing you pain, aren't you suffering enough as it is? And the bottom line is crap like that isn't warm anyway!! Throw it away and save your poor hands/wrists and sanity!

Feel better soon! :)

5:09 AM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

I'm so sorry that things have been going bad for you. Throw the bad yarn away...do you want me to donate some from my stash? I can't stand of thinking of you suffering so. :)

I'll send you some Reiki tonight after Fair. Take care my friend! :)

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, given all the obstacles you've been dealing with, I'm impressed you've gotten any knitting done at all!

My Denise needles broke a few times, but they were always amazing about sending me replacements. And they're such good little needles...don't give up on them completely!

I totally agree that not all acrylic is created equal. I'm a fan of Caron's Simply Soft. It's a world of difference to use that instead of the real crap.

I hope you feel better!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

The problem with using good yarn, say wool, for charity knitting is that most of the hats, scarves, shawls & afghans our group makes to give away will be tossed in the washer & dryer. Acrylic is the only way to go. I'll admit that there are some acrylics that are scratchier than others and the donated yarn like that tends to go into afghans rather than items that will be next to the skin, but we tend to use every scrap.

9:50 AM  
Blogger LaniMei said...

Sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well. I suffer from lupus, too. Sending prayers and best wishes.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I'm sorry to hear that you are in so much pain... here's hoping you're feeling better today..

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry your back is acting up - I hope you're starting to feel better now. I know your pain- and I hope it leaves you quickly!

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!