knitnana: In Spite of Myself...
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Sunday, December 10, 2006

In Spite of Myself...

I've been feeling way too stressed, and entirely NOT in the mood. Everytime I said, "Not gonna do it..." I was chastised by first one then another family member or friend...So...tonight, after the last of the bag orders was complete (still have one more needle case to make, but the bags were the most pressing) I pulled out the fixings and created this for my front door:

And because I simply am unsure if I'll still be in this apartment thru the holiday, I refused to put up the 4-foot prelit tree from last year (see my December 2005 entries for a photo) and instead did this:

I've had this little tyke since my sojourn in Washington DC in 1999-2000 when the high cost of rent had me in the tiniest apartment I've ever lived in. My then 7-foot Christmas tree was given to my daughter, as I felt I'd never again use a large tree...and this was what I bought. Only 1.5 feet high, this little tabletop tree is graced with crystal (yes, Swarovsky!) snowflakes, my mother's favorite crystal bird ornament, and little white flecked balls and white lights. A crystal Moravian star graces the top. Sitting to the right is a little Santa's sleigh my father made before I was born, and Rodney Reindeer, a Burger King toy from the early 1980s which my daughter gave me for Christmas - she was just a baby herself! Now she has 3 babies of her own...How time flies?!?

I've always loved the concept of a White Christmas. I guess you can't tell that, huh? But I am truly ready for a very compact Christmas!

6 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

How nostalgic! I love your little tree and all the sentimental things you have on it and around it. Are you thinking you may be going away for Christmas?

My girls are coming home this week and the nursing student keeps telling me it will probably be the last year she has Christmas off from work (sob)

I remember the overwhelming busy-ness that comes with having a home-based sewing business around the holidays. Take time for yourself!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Gorgeous wreath! When will you know about the apartment situation?!

9:58 AM  
Blogger kat said...

sometimes all an apartmetn needs is a little something to make it feel christmasy

10:07 AM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

I think your little tree and wreath are just perfect. I'm glad you pulled yourself out of your funk and decorated.

Those x-mas ornaments really are stuffed with memories. :)

Do take some time for you during the holidays...you deserve it!

If we get a white Christmas, I'll be sure to send it your way...

Ruinwen
:)

11:47 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

The door wreath is most excellent! I do hope that wherever you spend Christmas, it is relaxing and peaceful (and healthful).

10:44 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

It only takes a little to make the mood better. Glad you found some time to brighten things up. Sometimes it's that first push that gets things moving.

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!