knitnana: Knitting for Others....C4C, KnitRed, etc.
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Knitting for Others....C4C, KnitRed, etc.

Today, unfortunately, is not just June 1. It's the beginning of hurricane season. Last year, we began a KAL called Cloths for Katrina, when the devastation of that hurricane hit the Gulf States. We tried, by knitting facecloths, to let the survivors of that storm (and the ones that came later) know that there were knitters everywhere else in the country who were distressed by what they saw happening and that they cared and were concerned.

We morphed, in January, into the yahoo group Cloths for Crisis, affectionately known as C4C. If you feel you'd like to join us, we're knitting facecloths, dishcloths, lace patterned squares to send at a moments notice.

And while you're at it, knit a red one or two in honor of women's heart disease, and join us at Knit Red.

I've been busy with a bunch of KALs, with orders for my business, with my own obsession with lace, but I've also been working hard to develop a stash of cloths to have ready, just in case.

And in our "charity knitting" category, I'm also working on a triangle lace shawl from Folk Shawls by Cheryl Oberle, the Lacy Prairie Shawl, as a gift to my "second Mom's" mother, who now lives in a nursing home.

Just above is a photo of some of my donations, all in my trademark colors for women's health (see my entry earlier today): the Victorian Rose (Caron's Simply Soft yarn) colorway of Lacy Prairie Shawl, and then three dishcloths, one lavender feather and fan, one ivory lacy diamonds, and one red (yes, those are rows of hearts there...you can find the pattern here). You don't have to do things that are boring or routine, though if you're used to challenging knit projects, routine might be nice for a change!

Whatever you do, knitting for others is good for your heart. And good for the rest of our world!
(((hugs)))

7 Comments:

Blogger Plain Jane said...

Your washcloths are really neat! And I love the Victorian Rose color of the Lacy Prairie shaw - I'm working in a brighter pink on a Homespun scarf this evening for our K4 charity knitting group.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

I think it is wonderful all the charity work you do! The face cloths are beautiful! I printed the heart pattern....thank you for that...

I need to start carrying one with me to work on when I'm waiting in lines. That worked really well last year...people would ask me big eyed, "Are you knitting?"

And I would reply, "Why yes I am," and then point them to the LYS...but now I can add that I teach there!

The Lacy Prairie Shawl is going to be lovely! You are so talented and thoughtful!

Ruinwen
:)

5:46 AM  
Blogger Lana said...

Everything looks SO BEAUTIFUL!!! Things over here are mainly in blues in honor of Project Spectrum. With everything we've been blessed with, just gotta give back as God allows!

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea, I will try and find some time to knit some washclothes up.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Oh, I totally agree! Knitting for others is one of my very favorite things to do. My favorite knitting for others is CIC (Children In Common ... http://www.childrenincommon.org )

The lace knitting is beautiful. The washcloths are so beatitul they would make any recipient feel cared for and very special.

Keep up the GREAT work! : )

5:46 PM  
Blogger Knitcrazy said...

Beautiful and caring Work you do !!!
I love your Prairie Shawl...

http://pennyknits.blogspot.com/

8:11 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

That's wonderful! I will try to remember to mention this post in the next few days.

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!