knitnana: Adjusting to Reality...
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Adjusting to Reality...

Christy wrote an interesting post on Knitters At Work the other day. We'd been discussing everyone's propensity on the blogs to list their knitting accomplishments for the year just past, and the fact that so many people do so MUCH knitting (and a lot of it really high-quality stuff, too), it's a bit mind-boggling and somewhat intimidating, too. Christy's post about accepting who we are and our present life stages brought up the point that often we have to accept the fact that a lot of life is out of our immediate control.

We've certainly seen a lot of evidence of this over the past few years: hurricanes like Katrina and tsunamis, coal mine tragedies, wars that seem to drag on interminably, terrorism and such. In our personal lives, things have a way of jumping in and waylaying us just when we thought we had everything figured out. But Christy reminded that sometimes there's a serendipity to that, too, as in snow days. Just think of the fun you had as a kid when "life" got in the way of what you had planned and dumped several inches of the white stuff, closing schools and making it possible to spend the day just sliding down a hillside over and over again...

Well, Christy really got me to thinking about the fact that even tho' there are a lot of things in life I want to control - to the extent of "white knuckling" every last possible event of the day with short, shallow, tense breath - there have been a bunch of them recently that just refused my intervention (and don't think I didn't try very, very hard to make them do what I wanted!).

In December, I committed to reading Tess of the d'Urbervilles in the Knit the Classics KAL. I also committed to knitting something red for Tess, which I managed to do (see photo below). The book, however, remains unread.

There's a reason for this. I don't see well enough any longer to read for extended periods. While I can still see well enough to manuever through my life and while I dearly love to read, reading for pleasure is no longer an option. The fact is, I need my reading eyes for work, and that's essentially where reading will stay.

Lots of folks have suggested books-on-tape. And today, finally, I said, okay I give in. If Christy hadn't been the friend she has been, if I hadn't read and ruminated upon her post to the Knitters At Work group, I might not have come to this even now...I've fought it so hard for almost 2 years. And for what? Vanity? I don't know the answer to that one.

So I've reserved Tess and January's book for Knit the Classics, Mrs. Dalloway, both of them on tape, at my library.

And you know what? In the spirit of "making lemons out of lemonade" and that serendipity that Christy was talking about? Well, it just dawned on me that I can listen to the books on tape and knit at the same time! That's called multi-tasking, isn't it?

Oh, and for Mrs. Dalloway? I think I'm going to be knitting a rose pin, the free pattern for which I discovered on Sarah's Yarn Box. It looks quite fast and relatively easy (quite imperative this busy first month of the year)...and uses stash yarn, to boot! What could be better?
(((hugs)))

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Multi-tasking! Yes, that is what they call it. Good for you for findig a way to do two of the best things in life at the same time! Sounds a lot like progress to me!

2:37 PM  
Blogger Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

I am also amazed by the amount of knitting people do. I sometimes think they must live in a different time warp then I do! I have so much happening, I squeeze my knitting in when I can and enjoy the heck out of ever moment!

Remember... "each moment has its own beauty; it beholds every hour a picture which was never seen before and which shall never be seen again..." (not my words, a quote I found and love!)Happy 2006 to you...

8:20 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

You should also try getting mp3 cds of books to play on your computer. Most computers play them nowadays anyway. I got all of Jane Austens books on mp3 off of Ebay.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I started listening to books on tape while driving because I was too busy to sit down and read. Then it dawned on me that, instead of choosing between knitting and reading in my free time, I could listen and do both. I'm definitely not as self-aware about it all as you are, though ;)

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!