knitnana: Another Glimpse of Our Trip and What I'm Doing This Weekend
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Another Glimpse of Our Trip and What I'm Doing This Weekend

Our base of operations for the weekend was Bristol VT so we toured around the small town, and discovered this hysterical plaque with stone suspended above it:

That day, the stone was dry with a shadow below it. The next two, it was wet.

We all decided that this house was perfect just as is...you know, when you're house hunting and decide you like a place but will change this and that? Not this house. We're even in agreement with the owners right down to the red geraniums and the pink and lavender Adirondack Chairs on the porch! Just perfection!

On Saturday, we ventured to Middlebury. One of the major landmarks there is the Congregationalist Church:

And on Sunday we spent the afternoon here:

My mother's childhood Universalist Church. My grandfather was minister here for many years and I spent summers leading the local children in talent performances in the basement of the building. I directed and starred, singing, dancing, and emceeing the events. Apparently the children who participated with me have longer and better memories than I do as I'm remembered fondly for those programs! Who knew?

If you're sensing a bit of a theme here (of community churches) you're correct. When I think of Vermont, I think of the white (mostly clapboard) churches. It has something to do, I'm sure, with the Methodist minister grandfather on my dad's side, and the Universalist Minister grandfather on my mom's side. As a result, I'm totally enamoured of New England church architecture! (In spite of being a feminist spiritualist...)

I promised another post on the Old Round Church, and it's forthcoming, but this weekend was all about filling orders for Teabird Spindle Bags (one of each variety of strap length!) and getting stock made up for the National Capital Cat Show on Sept 11-12...

These orders will be shipping out to their new homes tomorrow!

7 Comments:

Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

What a lovely little house! I'm glad you are able to visit places that hold special memories from your past...and see how you are remembered by others as well. *hugs* :)

8:39 AM  
Blogger Lana said...

That house does look perfect! Thanks for sharing:~)

10:22 AM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

That second church could easily be the West Berlin Methodist Church over in Allenton out home or the Lake Orion Methodist Church here in the village. I guess we brought our church styles from New England.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Your trip sounds like it was wonderful! I've never been to Vermont, but I'm thinking I need to add it to my "Places I Want to Go Someday (When I Win the Lottery)". I love the yarn you ended up with (and how fun that you found some local wool to buy!), and I can see why you're enamored of those New England churches. Also? You're looking great in those pictures, yourself!

6:33 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

That house is adorable - - no doubt about it. Vermont looked beautiful and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

3:47 PM  
Anonymous twinsetellen said...

I just loved Middlebury when we did the college tour trip and hoped a daughter would attend there (but can't complain that both stayed closer to home). And I'm a sucker for a church with a tall steeple and clapboards, myself.

The bags are looking great.

12:41 AM  
Anonymous Carrie #K said...

Gorgeous house! I'm partial to porches. And churches. It sounds like you had a bucolic upbringing.

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!