knitnana: Very Victorian?
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Monday, December 12, 2005

Very Victorian?

Am I a glutton for punishment...or crazy...or maybe, just maybe...a perfectly normal girl, pining for a slower era, who tends to over-extend herself?

Before I was an accounting major, before I taught accounting, before I kept books for clients…I was an English major. I studied British literature, mostly, though I was almost as enamoured of American writers…and, at the time, I had taken enough French that I could read it well and speak it "une petite."

This feminist was meant to live in another age. At the very least, I was meant to be a professor of literature…and missed my calling, partly because I was driven to choose a profession that was non-traditional for a woman. I suspect I’d have lived a much happier existence if I’d gone with my heart. Or wandered the moors looking for my Healthcliff. Or gone to Paris, at the very least.

Where is this heading? Well, you’ll see over on the sidebar, that I have joined the Knit the Classics KAL...and want desperately to knit Mrs. Beeton but WILL be knitting Aibhlinn instead, because she’s already on the needles and time is running out as the month is 12 days old and there’s a major holiday in it as well...

I’m also joining Something Red for Tess and reading Tess of the d’Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy as I do...Tess is the book of the month for Knit the Classics. Aibhlinn is being knit in cranberry and black Plymouth Encore, so there’s the red...

I’ve already checked the book out of the library. I don’t have enough to do…and I’m a little bit slow when I read now, because of my vision. But I can always give up and get books on tape if it doesn’t work well otherwise!
-
I think VooDoo (for all it’s Caribbean Island sound) is very Victorian, too...and those are just finished (see below), in the same yarn as Aibhlinn...Shawls, classic literature, fingerless gloves...I can see myself now...standing on the moors...knitted shawl clutched about me...

Great imagination, huh?

1 Comments:

Blogger Birdsong said...

Hope you are enjoying reading Tess of the D'Urbervilles... I vaguely remember reading it while in high school, along with almost all of D.H. Lawrence. I do think I will have to make the too-cute wristwarmers in red, in honor of your group, but I know I won't manage to re-read the book. Too many others waiting...

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!