knitnana: Enough?
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Friday, March 18, 2005

Enough?

Just Enough is Plenty…

How Much is Enough?

Enough is Enough…

Three phrases that get at the heart of the voluntary simplicity movement, where living a life of meaning and integrity is critical.

How much does someone need? I can’t determine the answer to that question for anyone other than myself. Perhaps an example is appropriate?

For years, I determined that I needed just two phones: a portable to carry from room to room, and a landline for when the portable was being charged. Mind you, the sound quality of the portable was not up to my expectations. It was downright sorry. Then the portable died. And I determined that the life span of that portable was not nearly long enough for me to justify buying another one, especially considering the poor sound quality. So, slowly, I acquired additional landline phones, because I was never in the same room with the phone and voice mail would pick up before I could get the receiver off the hook! I now have 4 landline phones and the only rooms without one are the bathrooms! Then I got another battery for the portable, so while the sound quality is still poor, it’s working again. Five telephones.

But wait, that’s not all…DD was always insisting I needed a cell phone. I protested vigorously. I hate them. They are rude and intrusive. They are dangerous when used behind the wheel of cars. I acknowledge that they are also insurance policies, especially for a woman driving alone. And very convenient when waiting to hear from a doctor. But I did not want to be leashed.

Now,however, there is a slight problem. I am opening a website for my business. And because I have a post office box for the business address, I’ll need to have a phone number on the website (no, I promise, I am not a fly-by-night operation!). But because my business is in my home, I do not want my phone ringing all hours of the day and night. So voice mail will pick up my business calls after a certain time of night. But my family must be able to reach me in the event of an emergency, so now I’ll have a cell phone for them.

How much is enough? Do I need 4 landline phones, a portable phone, and a cell phone? Apparently so. The last laugh is on me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kelly and Pixie said...

I dont know how to comment on this one since i am one of those people who have an addictive personality and have to have things around me "just in case!!" LOL But its like getting a raise at work...the more you make the more you spend..do we ever save the extra? 6 phones, yea is a little much but...thats why we are all different. we can always justify are actions right? lifes too short enjoy it...live and let live!! love ya nana!!

8:08 PM  
Blogger IndigoMuse said...

I telecommute and work out of my home. I have a work line and a home line but they have distinctive rings so I know one from the other. They also have their own voicemails. If you have Verizon, you have some good options rather than going into phone overload. Good luck! :)

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!